Thursday, June 02, 2005

Let's make fun of our friends from Quebec

Today let's look at how Canadian French (shall I say Québecois ?) translate some English movie titles - where the French are usually too lazy to change anything, and would rather, for once, give up their so-called French cultural exception than open a dictionary:
  • Clanches: apparently clancher means "to speed up" across the border. So naturally this is a good title for Speed. Also, there are some pretty good summaries of the movie's plotline out there


  • Ballon-chasseur: une vraie histoire de sous-estimé: could not possibly be a more literal translation of Dodgeball: a true underdog story. And that aught me that our "Balle au prisonnier" (prisoner's ball) is called "ballon-chasseur" (hunter-ball) in Quebec, I guess.

  • Brillantine = old-fashioned word for "grease" that no sane French people less than 60 year old would ever use. You guessed it, this is Grease

  • Ferrovipathes: my favorite. I had never heard this word, but I assume it means "trainspotter". This is the québecois title for Trainspotting, obviously, and I think I will use only this one from now on, "trainspotting" is just too common after all. This one sounds like it was made up just for the occasion.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home